The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund offer a substantive, fast-paced internship program designed to give undergraduate students interested in civil and human rights, public service, advocacy, journalism and online communications, real-world work experience in the policy arena. The program provides interns the chance to increase their knowledge and awareness of civil and human rights issues, enhance their understanding of coalition politics, and observe the legislative process of our federal government. Interns are fully integrated into staff activities and involved in communications, development, field, and policy work.
Leadership Conference/Education Fund interns work out of our office in downtown Washington, D.C., easily accessible by metro or several bus lines.
Internships are for a length of one school semester. Start and end dates are flexible to accommodate your school’s schedule, and we require a 24-hour minimum weekly commitment. We also strongly prefer that interns can work on Tuesday mornings.
- Fall internship: Sept. 6 to Dec. 16; Application Deadline August 18, 2017
- Spring internship: Jan. 16 to May 12; Application Deadline December 8, 2017
- Summer internship: May 30 to Sept. 2; Application Deadline April 14, 2017
Core Intern Responsibilities
- Writing articles for website and blog
- Tracking legislation and litigation related to key issues
- Monitoring media coverage of policy issues
- Attending task force and other coalition meetings as assigned
- Helping to coordinate grassroots and media events
- Attending congressional hearings and briefings
- Conducting on- and off-line research to support Leadership Conference/Education Fund staff
- Occasional administrative work
Applicants should have strong writing skills, a desire and ability to work with diverse groups of people, the ability to work collaboratively, the ability to multitask, and a strong commitment to social justice issues.
The internship is unpaid, but interns receive a daily travel stipend.
How to Apply
- cover letter detailing your interest in The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- short writing sample (no longer than three pages)
To apply or ask questions about our internship program, please email Jordyn Bussey and Milan Kumar at email@example.com.