Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) is an international disability treaty that provides a vital framework for creating legislation and policies around the world that embrace the rights and dignity of all people with disabilities. It was inspired by U.S. leadership on disability rights and is modeled on the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which protects individuals with physical and mental disabilities against discrimination in areas such as employment, public accommodations, and transportation.
As of October 2013, CRPD has 158 signatories and 138 parties. The U.S. Senate failed to ratify CRPD (61-38) on December 3, 2012. Ratification of U.N. treaties require 2/3 (or 67 members) of the Senate, but the for ratifas ratification received just 61 of the 67 votes (2/3 of the Senate) required for ratification.
- Check out our fact sheet on the CRPD (PDF), which explains how the convention is an important step for civil and human rights.
- Visit www.disabilitytreaty.org for more information on the campaign to ratify the treaty.
Organizations in Support of CRPD Ratification
- Anti-Defamation League
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice-AAJC
- Asians & Pacific Islanders with Disabilities of CA (APIDC)
- Human Rights First
- The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- National Fair Housing Alliance
- National Organization for Women
- National Women’s Law Center
- Disability Rights Convention Rejected by U.S. Senate – Civil Rights Monitor Article – March 2013 Issue
- Civil and Human Rights Coalition Condemns Senate Denial of Human Rights Treaty to Protect People with Disabilities as "Irrational and Outrageous" – Press Statement – 12/04/12
- Support Ratification of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Vote No on all Amendments – Advocacy Letter – 11/27/12
- Civil and Human Rights Coalition Denounces Blocking of Treaty to Protect People with Disabilities – Press Statement – 09/20/12
- Civil and Human Rights Coalition Applauds Senate Hearing on Treaty to Protect People with Disabilities – Press Statement – 07/12/12
- Support Ratification of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) – Advocacy Letter – 07/10/12
- The Law of the Land: U.S. Implementation of Human Rights Treaties – Congressional Testimony – 12/16/09
- U.S. to Sign U.N. Human Rights Treaty on People with Disabilities – Web Post – 07/28/09
- The Fight to Ratify the U.N. Disability Rights Treaty: Can the U.S. Both Teach and Learn? – Web Post – 06/12/08