The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA)
The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) would make it easier for all workers to join unions by giving them the option to choose how to form a union, either by ballot or by getting a majority of employees to sign a union-authorization card.
On April 8, 2009, The Leadership Conference held a conference call to discuss how passage of the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) would positively impact the African-American community. Listen to the recording or read a transcript of the call.
EFCA Organizing Resources
- One Million Strong for the Employee Free Choice Act - Petition from American Rights at Work
- Faces of the Employee Free Choice Act - Ad campaign from American Rights at Work
- It's Your Free Choice Campaign
Facts About EFCA
EFCA (H.R. 1409 /S. 560) was introduced in the Senate on March 10, 2009 by Rep. George Miller, D. Calif.,and Senator Tom Harkin, D. Iowa.
- The Employee Free Choice Act 101 - Center for American Progress Action Fund
More From The Leadership Conference
- Civil Rights Community Rallies around Employee Free Choice Act - 4/17/09
- Employee Free Choice Act Is Good for Black Workers - 4/3/09
- Civil Rights Groups Tout Employee Free Choice Act - Press Release - 4/2/09
- The Employee Free Choice Act Will Help Workers Weather Economic Crisis - 3/11/09
- Union Membership Increases, but Employee Free Choice Act Still Needed - 2/5/09
- House Vote: Employee Free Choice Act - Voting Record 2008
- Senate Vote: Employee Free Choice Act - Voting Record 2008
- A Step toward Greater Right to Organize for Workers - Feature Story - 3/2/07
- Leading Human, Civil, and Labor Rights Organizations Support Employee Free Choice Act - Press Release - 2/28/07
- Support the Employee Free Choice Act - Advocacy Letter - 2/27/07
- Wade Henderson's Speech on the Introduction of the Employee Free Choice Act - 2/6/07
- Unions and Upward Mobility for African-American Workers - Center for Economic and Policy Research - March 2008
- Unions: Ensuring Social Justice for African Americans - AFL-CIO
- Let All Voices Be Heard: Restoring the Right of Workers to Form Unions - The Leadership Conference - May 2007