Communications Manager Western Region – All Voting is Local
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the country’s oldest and largest civil and human rights coalition of more than 200 national organizations. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national advocacy efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. Learn more at www.civilrights.org. The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the United States. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate and empower local, state and national leaders to advance and protect civil and human rights and progressive change in the United States. To learn more about The Education Fund, visit www.civilrights.org/edfund.
All Voting is Local fights to eliminate needless and discriminatory barriers to voting before they happen, to build a democracy that works for us all. It is a collaborative campaign housed at The Leadership Conference Education Fund, in conjunction with the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation; the American Constitution Society; the Campaign Legal Center; and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. For more information about All Voting is Local, visit https://allvotingislocal.org.
AVL is hiring four regional communications managers, to develop and execute consequential communications campaigns within the two states in their assigned region. The Communications Manager Western Region will work with the AVL state campaign directors and with the national communications director to develop communications strategy in Arizona and Nevada. The Communications Manager Western Region will manage press relationships, develop and deploy engaging content across social platforms, and use communications strategies and tactics to drive conversations about barriers to voting in their region. This is a remote/telework position and the Communications Manager Western Region may work from any town or city within, or adjacent to, the region. This is flexible as a term limited position through April 2021 or a consultant. Please indicate preference in your cover letter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create media relations materials including press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, advisories, and digital content, including engaging digital content for social, paid, and owned media.
- Develop and drive strategic social media campaigns that advance AVL objectives.
- Work in collaboration with AVL state staff and with the National Communications Director.
- Manage in-person media availabilities, including press conferences, etc.
- Prepare organization principals for high-level media engagements, including interviews, editorial board meetings, and press calls.
- Develop and drive proactive strategic communications plans, while maximizing rapid response opportunities to shape the narrative on voting.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least four years of media relations experience – including pitching and writing for the media, organizing and coordinating public media availabilities, and speaking on-the-record.
- Demonstrated experience of crafting and driving persuasive social media campaigns that spur meaningful engagement and action.
- Be a strong, persuasive writer.
- Self-motivated, creative thinker with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about deploying the full suite of communications tools to advance voting rights.
- Excellent organizational skills. Must be able to juggle multiple projects across states and issue areas and be adept at rapid response.
- Ability to travel.
Reports to: All Voting Is Local National Communications Director (located in Washington, DC), working in coordination with the state directors located in the relevant region.
Salary and Benefits:
This position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and salary requirements to: [email protected] with AVIL Communications Manager Western Region in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.