Communications Manager, Western Region – All Voting is Local
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the country’s oldest and largest civil and human rights coalition of more than 200 national organizations. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national advocacy efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. Learn more at www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the United States. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate and empower local, state and national leaders to advance and protect civil and human rights and progressive change in the United States. To learn more about The Education Fund, visit www.civilrights.org/edfund.
All Voting is Local fights to eliminate needless and discriminatory barriers to voting before they happen, to build a democracy that works for us all. It is a collaborative campaign housed at The Leadership Conference Education Fund, in conjunction with the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation; the American Constitution Society; the Campaign Legal Center; and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. For more information about All Voting is Local, visit https://allvotingislocal.org.
About the Role:
The Communications Manager, Western Region will work with the AVL state campaign teams and with the National Communications Director to develop communications strategy in two to three AVL states. The Communications Manager, Western Region will manage press relationships and develop and deploy strategic communications campaigns that advance the public education and advocacy goals in key states. This is a remote/telework position and the Communications Manager, Western Region may work from anywhere in the United States.
What You Will Do:
- Create media relations materials including press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, advisories, and digital content, including engaging digital content for social, paid, and owned media.
- Work in collaboration with the Digital Content Manager to develop and drive strategic social media campaigns that advance AVL objectives.
- Work in collaboration with AVL state staff and with the National Communications Director to devise and execute strategic communication plans that draw upon traditional media relations tactics, while integrating innovative uses of digital platforms and content to reach various audiences.
- Manage state staff media availabilities, including press conferences, interviews, and other media appearances
- Prepare organization principals for high-level media engagements, including interviews, editorial board meetings, and press calls.
- Develop and drive proactive strategic communications plans, while maximizing rapid response opportunities to shape the narrative on voting rights.
- Develop and disseminate talking points to support the work of state teams and state-based partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Will Bring:
- At least four years of media relations experience — including a demonstrated record of pitching and writing for the media, organizing and coordinating public media availabilities, and speaking on-the-record.
- Demonstrated experience of crafting and driving persuasive social media campaigns that spur meaningful engagement and action.
- Be a strong, persuasive writer.
- Self-motivated, creative thinker with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about deploying the full suite of communications tools to advance voting rights.
- Excellent organizational skills. Must be able to juggle multiple projects across states and issue areas and be adept at rapid response.
- Ability to travel.
What We Offer:
The organizations offer their employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $82,618 – $100,661
To apply, please visit our Career Center and submit your resume and cover letter. Cover letters are required and should be attached.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.