Director of Media Relations
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership to promote and protect the rights of all persons in the United States. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. For more information on The Leadership Conference and its 200-plus member organizations, visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal, state, and local policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate, empower, and mobilize leaders and advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.
The Director of Media Relations is a position within the Communications Department. Under the direction of the Managing Director of Communications, this position will be responsible for directing and implementing the organizations’ media strategy and leading campaign communications by providing strategic and technical guidance in the development and execution of the organizations’ public education and advocacy campaigns. This position will also supervise and manage three Communications Managers and be responsible for the organization’s rapid response activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Drives the organization’s relations and engagement with news media, pushing a proactive communications agenda that shapes coverage and advances civil and human rights. In doing so, works with appropriate matrixed staff and partner organizations to develop and execute public education and advocacy campaigns to support priority issues and initiatives. Leads and advises the appropriate staff, and matrixed teams, to implement the communications components of large-scale coalition-wide public advocacy campaigns.
Performs the organization-wide function of media relations director, including but not limited to:
- Supervising and managing the organization’s engagement with the news media.
- Overseeing the implementation of press events.
- Preparing organization and coalition spokespeople for press relations.
- Serving, when appropriate, as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization.
- Overseeing the creation of external press materials, including press releases, advisories, statements, op-eds, and editorial board memos, etc., that deliver consistent, understandable messages.
- Writing talking points and conducting interview prep for organization staff.
- Working with coalition members to provide communications support and technical assistance.
- Assigning and supervising the media work of Communications Managers and vendors and providing support and mentoring to build the media relations skill and competence of staff.
- Participating in matrixed issue related teams as assigned.
- Responding to other matters as needed and assigned.
Skills and Experience Required
- At least ten years of media relations experience
- A desire to work with diverse groups of people and a commitment to civil and human rights
Skills and Experience Preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Efficient worker with exceptional writing skills who is comfortable driving an aggressive agenda in a deadline-driven environment
- A creative problem solver who can help move policy discussions
- A strategic planner who can create and execute a strategic campaign plan
- A team player with the ability to show grace under pressure
- An organized, dependable self-starter who has a track record of producing high-quality written work for different audiences under tight deadlines
- Effective manager of staff
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position. Salary is competitive and is coupled with a comprehensive benefits package. The salary band for this role is $106,500 – $125,000.
To apply, e-mail resume and cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities to: [email protected] with Director of Media Relations in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.