Director of People Operations
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 230 organizations that promotes and protects civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Director of People Operations who is passionate about building amazing experiences for employees to lead our people operations team. As an organization, we are optimizing our infrastructure, and are seeking candidates who have experience modernizing and streamlining processes, building capacity, and strengthening stakeholder engagement.
In this role, the Director will be responsible for enhancing the organization’s People & Culture department by evaluating, planning, and implementing programs in support of core functional areas, including, total rewards (benefits and compensation), compliance, and HR systems. This person will also support the administration of programs within employee engagement and retention and performance management and development Our ideal candidate must be enthusiastic about aligning our mission to our people operations strategy and have a steadfast and courageous commitment to compassion, impact, and excellence.
This person will inherit a team of two and partner with our senior leaders to develop modernized and efficient people operations ensuring streamlined business processes and systems to meet and advance organizational requirements. This Director of People Operations will report to the VP of People & Culture.
What you will do:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of benefits/wellness, compensation, compliance, vendor management, payroll, and People & Culture systems.
- Effectively interface with all levels of the organization to coordinate and oversee all people operations activities.
- Proactively evaluate compensation, benefits, and wellness programs to ensure they are highly competitive and comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Manage the staff compensation plan and ensure equity in salaries for new and existing staff.
- Oversee and evaluate the current People & Culture systems and maintain personnel files and Personnel Action Forms (PAFs).
- Drive excellence through data analysis and capturing critical People & Culture metrics while staying abreast of emerging trends and best practices.
- Communicate and ensure compliance and consistency with office practices and policies and compliance with all employment-related laws.
- Make certain that all administrative systems (e.g., payroll, vendor management) and processes are highly reliable and executed seamlessly, with a proactive approach.
- Other duties as necessary and related.
What you will bring:
- A minimum of 7-10 years of professional experience with at least 5 years of progressive and hands-on people operations experience and 3-5 years of supervisory experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required and professional certification in HR management is preferred.
- Broad knowledge and experience in benefits/wellness, compensation, performance management, recruitment, compliance/regulations, vendor management, payroll, and People & Culture systems.
- Must have basic computer skills in Microsoft Office applications and HRIS programs.
- Must be accurate and efficient, high energy, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Superior interpersonal and coaching skills including patience and the ability to work well with staff at all levels.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality and excellent organization skills.
- A skilled consensus builder, and communicator with the ability to manage conflicts and challenges patiently and expertly.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully participate on senior management teams that provide leadership and strategic direction.
- Excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
What We Offer:
The Organizations offer its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $109,271 – 127,926
To apply, please visit our Career Center and submit your resume and cover letter. Cover letters are required and should be attached.
Office Re-opening Statement
Currently, staff has the option to work from the office or home while we determine our long-term policy on remote and hybrid work. Please note this position is not permanently remote and over time the person filling this role may be required to work on occasion or regularly from the Washington, DC-based office.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.