Florida State Director for All Voting is Local
The Leadership Conference Education Fund seeks a Florida State Director for All Voting is Local, a campaign to defend and expand access to the ballot by identifying and fighting voter suppression at the local level.
The All Voting is Local campaign is a collaborative effort of civil rights, legal, and advocacy organizations that is comprised of the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLU), the American Constitution Society (ACS), the Campaign Legal Center (CLC), the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (Lawyers’ Committee), and The Leadership Conference Education Fund (and its project, Access Democracy) (LCEF).
The All Voting is Local campaign ensures the right and ability to vote are protected at all levels. Through a unique combination of data-driven organizing, advocacy, and communications, the campaign helps communities — and particularly communities of color — identify and remedy barriers to the ballot box. In collaboration with civil and voting rights groups at the local, state, and national levels, we build power among historically disenfranchised groups, educate activist networks about monitoring and improving how elections are run, and redefine the narrative around voter access.
The State Director is responsible for the development and implementation of a program that effectuates All Voting Is Local’s mission in Florida. The State Director reports to the All Voting Is Local Campaign Director (located in Washington, DC).
Skills and Qualifications:
- Past experience in voting rights or election protection
- Political, organizing or campaign experience
- Experience organizing and managing volunteers
- Experience working with coalitions
- Experience with tight deadlines and long hours, and the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
- A team player, with sound judgment, who thrives in a fast-paced collaborative environment, is a self-starter, can manage time efficiently, is flexible, and enjoys a good challenge
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to think creatively and find solutions quickly
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Law degree preferred. Candidates with a master’s degree will be considered
- Ability to travel
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify issues, communities and geographic areas to focus on for 2019 and 2020
- Monitor whether local election administration creates obstacles to voting, or could be improved to expand access to the ballot
- Monitor election rules and procedures for possible state or federal statutory or constitutional violations
- Assess the needs of individual voters in those jurisdictions — particularly those from historically disenfranchised communities
- Build relationships with state and local election officials; and engage and coordinate advocates and volunteers on the ground, to support and expand the capacity of the existing voting rights community
- Track changes to election administration in key areas, develop an assessment of the implications of these changes, and propose effective strategies to respond
- Work closely with the existing network of voting rights organizations to train and deploy volunteers in support of election administration reform and voter education
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, 2 writing samples, and your starting salary requirements to: [email protected] with AVL FL State Director in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.