Immigration Policy Counsel
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 200 organizations which promotes and protects civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund seek a Immigration Policy Counsel to advance civil rights and social justice policy for the nation. This position works in collaboration with interdepartmental disciplinary teams and with national coalition partners to formulate, coordinate, and lead legislative and agency strategies to pursue transformative policy change to further civil rights. The Policy Counsel will work with the Leadership Conference’s Immigration Task Force. The Policy Counsel will be knowledgeable about a wide range of immigration issues, including humanitarian relief, due process, and legalization. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
What You Will Do:
- Researches and drafts legal memoranda on federal bills and proposed administrative rules and regulations affecting immigration issues
- Lobbies members of Congress, their staff, and administration officials to support coalition positions on pending legislation and policy initiatives
- Assists in the coordination of policy briefings for Congressional and Executive Branch staff
- Provides in-depth analysis of current federal immigration issues and legislation, as needed
- Writes and/or edits position papers, public comments, coalition advocacy letters, and other documents related to coalition priorities
- Assists in the development of educational materials, including reports, policy statements, congressional testimony, and talking points to educate policymakers and the general public on coalition priority issues
- Provides staff support for the Immigration Task Force and the task force chairpersons, to include convening and facilitating working groups of the Immigration Task Force
- This is a lobbying position. After hiring, the Policy Counsel will need to register as a federal lobbyist.
What You Will Bring:
- JD degree
- Three (3) or more years of combined experience working on legislative and policy matters
- Working knowledge of immigration issues
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze legislative and administrative policy
- Strong legal research and analytical skills, including drafting and analyzing legislative language
- Ability to build relationships among a diverse set of coalition partners to work collaboratively and independently within a broad cross section of organizations
- Ability and desire to work strategically and effectively across disciplines, including with colleagues in internal communications and field departments
- An understanding of issues relating to law, public policy and the strategies and tools needed to achieve policy change using federal legislative, administrative and regulatory processes
- A capacity to organize, lead and work with coalitions to achieve lobbying goals
- Commitment to civil and human rights issues
- Ability to prioritize among multiple projects
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Hill experience is preferred
What We Offer:
The Organizations offer its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – 87,550 – 96,639
To apply, please visit our Career Center and submit your resume and cover letter.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.