Managing Director of Communications
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 200 organizations which promotes and protects civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund seek a bold and innovative Managing Director of Communications. This strategic communicator will drive narrative shifts among the media and influencers and seize proactive newsmaking and storytelling opportunities. The most competitive candidate awakens every day with communications strategy on their mind, key reporters and influencers in their contacts, and civil and human rights in their heart. This person will serve as the de facto deputy in the department and will play a significant role in sustaining and growing the organizations’ Communications Department and reach.
What You Will Do:
- Manages the implementation of integrated strategic communications plans to advance the mission and brand of the organizations, to broaden awareness of their priorities and programs, and to increase the visibility of their programs across key stakeholders.
- Coordinates with the Media Relations, Digital, and Creative Teams to ensure The Leadership Conference is conveying clear, consistent messages across all channels and with member organizations and key partners.
- Oversees and manages the media relations operation in developing and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted online, print, and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, and other persons of influence.
- Manages the efficient drafting and vetting process of press releases and media advisories, speeches, and op-eds, and organizing of press conferences and briefings.
- Supports the development of communications vision, frame, and narrative to achieve the organizations’ campaign goals and policy objectives.
- Serves as Acting Executive Vice President as needed.
- Manages communications consultants as needed.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
What You Will Bring:
- A Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of communications experience.
- At least five to seven years of management experience in a communications role/department.
- A passion for the issues represented by The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund.
- A proven track record of driving exceptional internal and external communications for organizations.
- Strong relations with key reporters.
- A record of exceptional senior management and leadership that articulates and maintains high standards, transforms teams, and empowers, develops, and motivates team members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and collegial working style.
- A multitasker and strong project manager with the ability to manage teams in a fast-paced environment.
What We Offer:
The Organizations offer its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $139,050 – $162,225
To apply, please visit our Career Center and submit your resume and cover letter.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.