Managing Director, Organizational Compliance and Development
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 240 organizations to promote and protect civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund seek a Managing Director to develop, implement, and oversee a comprehensive framework and strategy for organizational compliance issues and activities. Reporting to the organizations’ chief operating officer, the senior advisor will design effective accountability systems/processes and train staff to adhere to compliance measures regarding: 1) contracts execution and management; 2) c3 and c4 reporting and requirements; 3) and administrative policies. In performing these responsibilities, the senior advisor will stay abreast of changes to the legal landscape on relevant issues affecting the organizations’ c3 and c4 activities. Ongoing assessment of systems/processes will be expected to gauge overall effectiveness in facilitating organizational compliance.
Also, the Managing Director will take the lead on issues that implicate legal compliance, offering organization-wide solutions to address concerns and mitigate risks. Finally, the senior advisor will provide leadership and thought partnership on emerging projects or initiatives aimed to strengthen and amplify organizational development.
What You Will Do:
- Nonprofit Compliance (Federal and State Requirements): Develop and revise systems to monitor and oversee c3 and c4 compliance with relevant federal and state laws governing The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund. This includes drafting, reviewing, and advising on internal policies and procedures and building accountability mechanisms to facilitate compliance.
- Contracts Management and Execution: Oversee an efficient, clear and adaptable contracts management process that ensures agreements comply with financial and contractual obligations and protect organizational interests.
- Staff Training and Guidance: Create and deliver an orientation program for new staff on c3 and c4 rules, lobbying, political activity, and organizational standards and practices for managing the organizations’ work; develop and implement a core training curriculum for staff that establishes foundational knowledge and understanding our organizations’ work, values and strategic framework and ensures compliance when performing our c3 and c4 work.
- Administrative Policy Development and Legal Review: Engage organizational stakeholders to assess areas for improving operational systems, policies and procedures. Work collaboratively with colleagues to develop, update or fortify administrative policies and procedures. Provide legal review where applicable.
- Organizational Development. In partnership with the chief operating officer, lead and/or manage projects and initiatives to strengthen organizational effectiveness. The focus of this work includes implementing frameworks, protocols, and operational/behavioral norms for managing change, engaging staff, cultivating institutional knowledge, and advancing strategic planning and organizational priorities.
What You Will Bring:
- Juris Doctor degree required.
- Demonstrated interest in organizational management/effectiveness with at least 10 years of experience leading or significantly contributing to operational improvements and organizational development initiatives.
- Knowledge of federal and state requirements and compliance issues relevant to c3 and c4 non-profit organizations.
- Excellent legal review skills preferably in the areas of contracts and organizational policy.
- Experience developing and implementing process improvements and/or building systems to streamline or reengineer processes for greater efficiency and accountability.
- Proven talent for the development and execution of long-term planning and strategy.
- Personal stature, credibility and maturity to earn the trust and confidence of colleagues, particularly when navigating problem-solving with dynamic groups; strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Strong oral communicator with excellent writing skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills with an eye for detail and follow-through.
- Strong commitment to team building, team leadership and fostering a positive organizational culture.
- A demonstrated record of employee engagement and collaboration in a matrix environment.
What We Offer:
This position starts off as a full-time, 2-year appointment with the opportunity to be converted to a full-time permanent role after the initial appointment period.
The organizations offer its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $149,350 – $175,100 dependent on years of related experience.
To apply, please visit our Career Center and submit your resume and cover letter. Cover letters are required and should be attached.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.