The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the country’s oldest and largest civil and human rights coalition of more than 200 national organizations. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national advocacy efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. Learn more at www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the United States. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate and empower local, state and national leaders to advance and protect civil and human rights and progressive change in the United States. To learn more about The Education Fund, visit www.civilrights.org/edfund.
The Staff Accountant is a position within the Department of Finance. Under the direction of the Controller, this position will process payroll, manage payables and receivables, maintain financial records, prepare and analyze various GL accounts, perform general bookkeeping duties, and assist with month and year end close processes. The position will accomplish this function by performing a wide range of financial and accounting duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the entire Payroll function – processing the bi-weekly payroll, entering changes to leave accruals, 401k and 457b transactions, employee cell phone reimbursements; researching payroll related issues/problems
- Prepares and funds the 401k contributions and loans, and 457b plans held by plan administrators
- Prepares and submits Positive Pay files to the bank
- Processes transfers between the operating and investment accounts
- Manages accounts payable, including vendor setup and processing of payments
- Makes bank deposits and enters cash applications to receivable ledgers
- Reconciles various cash, investments, and special reserve accounts
- Reconciles staff credit card accounts
- Reconciles the Inter-company (Due To/From) accounts
- Prepares prepaid schedules and entering related journal entries into the accounting system
- Prepares general and adjusting journal entries related to online donations, fringe benefit payments and other cash transactions
- Prepares petty cash transactions
- Prepares year end work papers (preparing audit and tax schedules per Prepared by Client (PBC) lists)
- Performs other related duties as directed
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3 years of experience in accounting/finance in a not-for-profit environment
- BS Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Experience in Microsoft Office (MS Excel, in particular)
- Proficient in MS GP or other ERP accounting software
- Strong communications skills; high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to get along well with all staff
- Proficient in ADP or other payroll & benefits software
- Experience in special projects and/or grant reporting and budget development
Reports to: Controller
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and salary requirements to: [email protected] with Staff Accountant in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.