The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership to promote and protect the rights of all persons in the United States. The Leadership Conference works toward an America as good as its ideals. For more information on The Leadership Conference and its 200-plus member organizations, visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal, state, and local policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate, empower and mobilize leaders and advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.
The Staff Accountant is a position within the Department of Finance. Under the direction of the Accounting Manager, this position will process payroll, maintain financial records, prepare and analyze various GL accounts; and perform general bookkeeping duties. The position will accomplish this function by performing a wide range of financial and accounting duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the entire Payroll function – such as processing the bi-weekly payroll, entering changes to leave accruals, 401k and 457b transactions, employee cell phone reimbursements; researching payroll related issues/problems
- Prepares and funds the 401k contributions and loans, and 457b plans held by plan administrators
- Maintains a positive relationship with bank personnel and provides banking information for ACH and wire transfers
- Prepares and submits Positive Pay files to the bank
- Processes transfers between the operating and investment accounts
- Reconciles various cash, investments, and special reserve accounts; making bank deposits when necessary
- Reconciles various revenue accounts (e.g. the grant and contribution income accounts)
- Reconciles the Inter-company (Due To/From) accounts
- Prepares prepaid schedules and entering related journal entries into the accounting system
- Prepares general and adjusting journal entries related to online donations and fringe benefit payments
- Prepares year end work (preparing audit and tax schedules per Prepared by Client (PBC) lists)
- Performs other related duties as directed (e.g. assisting in drafting Financial policies Manual including travel, credit cards, and the accounting policies and procedures manual to insure quality internal controls)
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3 years of experience in accounting/finance in a not-for-profit environment
- BS Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Experience in Microsoft Office (MS Excel, in particular)
- Proficient in MS GP or other ERP accounting software
- Strong communications skills; high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to get along well with all staff
- Proficient in ADP or other payroll & benefits software
- Experience in special projects and/or grant reporting and budget development
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and salary requirements to: [email protected] with Staff Accountant in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.