The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership to promote and protect the rights of all persons in the United States. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. For more information on The Leadership Conference and its 200-plus member organizations, visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal, state, and local policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate, empower and mobilize leaders and advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are seeking a Director of Finance, to facilitate and support the organizations and all of their parts so that the programmatic work is carried out in an effective and efficient manner. This position provides leadership, planning, management, and oversight of all major financial operations for the organizations. In collaboration with the senior leadership team, and directors of human resources and information technology, assist with the organizational planning, management issues and upgrading of operations. The position reports to the Executive Vice President and COO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, revise, implement, maintain, and oversee all of the organizations’ financial policies and procedures (including but not limited to financial statements, budgets, annual audit, tax, lobby and other corporate reporting, compliance requirements, and investment policies).
- Coordinate and manage annual audits and serve as liaison between external auditors, the organizations, and the audit committees of the board of directors.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the President and senior leadership team.
- Serve as staff liaison to the finance committee of the boards of the two organizations and make presentation of financial reports at quarterly board meetings as appropriate.
- Serve as financial and budgetary liaison between management, program staff, and funders.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the COO and VPs.
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organizations’ financial status.
- Manage the organizations’ cash flow requirements, financial analyses, information and reporting, budget development and monitoring, investments, capital purchases.
- Oversee financial transactions, daily accounting operations, and cash and investment decisions.
- Complete and maintain Finance and Accounting manuals.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Coordinate with the Director of Human Resources to administer and oversee the payroll, compensation and benefits.
- Coordinate with the VP for Development to ensure consistency and accuracy of financial reporting.
- Annual review of the financial operations and report to the senior leadership team on recommendations for refining and upgrading systems for efficiency and user-friendly features.
Other related duties and tasks as assigned by Executive Management
Management responsibilities: This position directly supervises 3 Finance staff.
Reports to: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Education and Experience:
- 8-12 years of progressive experience in all aspects of nonprofit finances and at least two years of experience managing budgets.
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Management, Accounting, or Finance is required. A MBA, MPA or CPA is preferred.
- A demonstrated exceptional personal and communication skills that indicate an ability to communicate and to work effectively with a wide range of people.
- Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks, concurrently being thorough and comprehensive. Must have initiative, good judgment and foresight.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products and an understanding of accounting software applications.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and salary requirements to: email@example.com with Director of Finance in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity and expression, status as a veteran, national origin, age or disability.