The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights (The Leadership Conference) is the coalition of national organizations committed to civil and human rights in the U.S. Its supporting arm, The Leadership Conference Education Fund (The Education Fund), is the major research, education and communications organization informing the debate on civil and human rights.
The Manager of Operations & Annual Fund is responsible for managing the strategic systems operations and annual fund for The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund. The position requires management of both 501(c)(4) (not tax-deductible) and 501(c)(3) (tax-deductible) development/fundraising strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Donor Database Management & Systems
- Lead and implement the operations for Development fundraising and membership CRM database in collaboration with support from the Development Assistant and Membership Associate.
- Partner with Finance and IT to ensure that all development database entries are coordinated
- Collaboration with other department members in processing of donations from individuals, including data entry, donor notations and acknowledgement letters.
- Maintenance of department files and generation of reports related to the above activities.
- Oversee the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship for the annual fund donor pipeline, with an emphasis on current donors and prospects contributing $1,000 – $9,999
- Contribution to day-to-day operations of the department including fielding questions from donors and distribution of Development materials.
- Participation in meetings with organization leadership regarding individual giving.
- Contribution to the major gift process through research, moves management, identification of major gifts prospects, and strategizing with department staff.
- Lead the ideation, implementation and execution of direct mail and marketing campaigns, including but not limited to scheduling and management of direct mail solicitations, including package creation, preparation of data merges, assembly and mailing.
Marketing, Direct Mail & On-line Giving Communications
- Serve as the Development liaison for online fundraising vehicles in collaboration with the website management team in the Communications Department.
- Planning and management of acquisition campaigns for both online and direct mail and collaboration with outside consultants and vendors as necessary.
- Drafting of letters, fact sheets, policy issue summaries, appeal reports, outreach packets and other department documents.
- Collaboration with other department staff and Communications staff regarding posting of development information on civilrights.org.
- With the Managing Director, Major Gifts & Corporate Relations, implement and execute the details of special events, specifically the Hubert H. Humphrey Dinner, the largest gathering of the civil rights community in the country; as well as receptions and various functions throughout the year.
- Collaboration with the VP for Development and Managing Director, Major Gifts & Corporate Relations, on budgeting of projects related to individual and online giving initiatives and projections for the individual giving segment of the annual fund.
- Additional tasks as assigned by the VP for Development.
Experience and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- A commitment to human and civil rights and a commitment to working with diverse groups of people
- Two to four years in annual fund operations, including but not limited to database systems management, reporting, analysis
- Experience fundraising through direct marketing, e-commerce and/or social media platforms
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- Organized, dependable self-starter with a close attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to cross-train within and outside of the Development department
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and to manage a complex workload and intra- and inter-departmental priorities
- Flexible team player with the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, sound judgement, confidentiality and discretion
- Efficient and comfortable in a deadline-driven environment
- Great verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Project management experience (desired)
- Experience working with an organization that is a part of The Leadership Conferences coalition (desired)
Vice President of Development with dotted line to Managing Director, Major Gifts & Corporate Relations
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Manager of Operations & Annual Fund in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.