WHAT: In response to Ward Connerly’s announcement of a Michigan anti-affirmative action ballot initiative, a number of well-known and respected Michigan civic leaders will be available to the press and media for their reaction and comments.
These individuals are former elected officials, corporate executives, religious and community leaders who understand affirmative action, both the legal and historical issues, and the implications for the state of Michigan if Connerly’s divisive campaign moves ahead.
- The Honorable Dennis Archer, former Mayor of Detroit from 1994-2001. He is now the President-Elect of the American Bar Association. Contact number: (202) 662-1092.
- Alan Reuther, Legislative Director, United Auto Workers. The International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) is one of the largest and most diverse unions in North America, with members in virtually every sector of the economy. UAW is headquartered in Michigan. Contact number: (202) 828-8500.
- Reverend Wendell Anthony, President of the Detroit Branch of the NAACP — has served as President since 1993. Contact number: (313) 871-2087.
- Fern Ettinger, Michigan State Public Affairs Director, National Council of Jewish Women. Contact number: (248) 682-0468.
- Harlyn E. Pancheco, Third Year Undergraduate, representative of La Voz Latina, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and Sigma Lambda Beta Intl. Fraternity. Contact number: (231) 343-0062.
- Michelle Lin, founding member of University of Michigan Students Supporting Affirmative Action. Ms. Lin graduated in May 2003. Contact number: (734) 678-4678.
WHEN: Following Connerly’s 12:00 Noon press conference on the University of Michigan campus.