PRESS CALL: National, Local Civil Rights Groups Announce Day of Action to Ensure Fair and Accurate 2020 Census
For Immediate Release
Contact: LaGloria Wheatfall, [email protected], 202.548.7160
WASHINGTON – On Thursday, March 28 at 12:00 p.m. ET, leading civil rights organizations and census experts will host a telephone press briefing to announce a national day of action on April 1 to elevate the importance of a fair and accurate 2020 Census. That day marks one year from Census Day, when the census will be in full swing.
The U.S. Constitution requires a census every 10 years, and the promise of equal representation for all communities in our democracy, as well as adequate resources, rests on a fair and accurate count. Communities of color, urban and rural low-income households, immigrants, and young children (especially Black and Latino) are all at risk of being missed at disproportionately high rates. This day of action will see people across the nation stand together and pledge to be counted in 2020 and marks the beginning of several national and state campaigns to ensure every community gets their fair share of public and private resources and political power.
During this call, Vanita Gupta, president and CEO of The Leadership Conference Education Fund, will join Beth Lynk, director of the Census Counts campaign, and partners of the campaign who are working together to ensure that everyone is counted in 2020. Speakers will provide details on planned activities to increase census participation, highlight events for the April 1 day of action, and discuss threats facing the 2020 census.
Please RSVP to [email protected].
When: Thursday, March 28 | 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. ET
- Vanita Gupta, President and CEO, The Leadership Conference Education Fund
- Lizette Escobedo, Director of National Census Program, NALEO Educational Fund
- Terry Ao Minnis, Director of Census and Voting Programs, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC
- Jennifer Edwards, Senior Campaign Director, Digital and Democracy, Color of Change
- Julie Emery, Executive Director, Virginia Civic Engagement State Table
- Beth Lynk, Director, Census Counts Campaign
- Other speakers TBA
Conference ID: 2020CENSUS