Managing Director of Communications
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership to promote and protect the rights of all persons in the United States. The Leadership Conference works toward an America as good as its ideals.
For more information on The Leadership Conference and its 200-plus member organizations, visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal, state, and local policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund’s campaigns inform, educate, empower and mobilize leaders and advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund seek a bold and innovative Managing Director of Communications. This strategic communicator will drive narrative shifts among media influencers and seize proactive news-making and storytelling opportunities.
The most competitive candidate awakes every day with communications strategy on their mind, key reporters and influencers in their WhatsApp, and civil and human rights in their heart. This communications manager will serve as the de facto deputy in the Department and will play a significant role in sustaining and growing the organizations’ communications department and reach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the implementation of integrated strategic communications plans to advance the mission and brand of the organizations, to broaden awareness of its priorities and programs, and to increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholders
- Coordinates with the Digital Team and Director of Coalition Communications and Research to ensure The Leadership Conference is conveying clear, consistent messages across all channels.
- Oversees and manages the media relations operation in developing and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted online, print, and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, and other persons of influence.
- Manages the efficient drafting and vetting process of press releases and media advisories, speeches, and opinion editorials, organizing of press conferences and briefings.
- Supports the development of communications vision, frame, and narrative to achieve the organizations’ campaign goals and policy objectives.
- Serves as Acting Executive Vice President as needed.
- Manages communications consultants as needed.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
This position reports directly to the Executive Vice President of Communications.
This position directly supervises Communications Managers and the Director of Communications – Rapid Response. The Managing Director also serves as the de facto deputy of the entire Communications Department.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5 to 7 years of management experience in a communications role/department.
- A passion for the issues represented by The Leadership Conference.
- A proven track record of driving exceptional internal and external communications for organizations.
- Strong relations with key reporters.
- A record of exceptional senior management and leadership that articulates and maintains high standards, transforms teams, and empowers and motivates subordinates.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and collegial working style.
- A multi-tasker and strong project manager with the ability to manage teams in a fast-paced environment.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and your starting salary requirements to: email@example.com with Managing Director of Communications in the subject line. Only applications submitted by email will be considered. We are looking to fill this position immediately. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual expression and identity, veteran status, national origin, age or disability.