The Leadership Conference is working diligently to see that Tom Perez is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of Labor. Perez is an eminently qualified public servant and consensus builder who has dedicated his career to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and have the opportunity to succeed. He has served with integrity and distinction at the local, state and national level, compiling an outstanding record of achievement.
Health Care Reform
The Leadership Conference works to build an America that is as good as its ideals, and toward this end, supports the authority of Congress to enact legislation, such as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which increases Americans’ access to quality health care. Access to quality health care is a fundamental civil and human right, but the current system of health care in the U.S. denies this right to the most vulnerable segments of society, including low-income families, people of color, women, seniors, and people with disabilities. By addressing the huge disparities in both access to and quality of care, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act takes a momentous step toward ensuring that all Americans can benefit from affordable, high-quality health care.
Factsheets on Health Care Disparities Facing Racial and Ethnic Minorities
- The Affordable Care Act Promotes Equal Opportunity for Latinos | Download PDF
Amicus Briefs in Support of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010
The Leadership Conference has joined the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the American Civil Liberties Union in filing an amicus brief with the Supreme Court arguing that the minimum coverage provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is clearly constitutional and, in fact, advances equal opportunity and liberty for millions of disadvantaged Americans.
The Leadership Conference has also signed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of the Medicaid Expansion Provision of the Affordable Care Act . The brief outlines U.S. obligations under international treaties to address disparities in both access to and quality of coverage and care. In its statement of interest, The Leadership Conference said the Medicaid Expansion Provision “will lead to broader access to quality health care by the most vulnerable segments of society, including children, people of color, women, seniors, and people with disabilities.”
The National Women’s Law Center brief "on behalf of 60 organizations in United States Department of Health and Human Services, et al v. State of Florida, et al. The brief explains what’s at stake for women in the challenge to the new health care law and why the ACA, in correcting fundamental gender inequities in the health insurance and health care markets, is an appropriate exercise of federal Commerce Clause authority and therefore is constitutional."
- The Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum et. al. brief in support of the arugment that the Court should sever the minimum coverage provision and leave the remainder of the Affordable Care Act intact if the Court finds the provision unconstitutional.
National Health Law Program et. al. brief in support of the Medicaid Expansion Provision of the Affordable Care Act
- Children's Health Insurance Program
- Campaign for Children's Health Care- Families USA
- America's Uninsured Children- Families USA
Low-Income Families & the Uninsured
- Fact Sheet: the Uninsured- Families USA
- Americans at Risk: One in Three Uninsured - Families USA - March 2009
- Squeezed! Caught between Unemployment Benefits and Health Care Costs- Families USA - January 2009
- Living on the Edge: Health Care Expenses Strain Family Budgets - Center for Studying Health System Change - December 2008
- Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2006 (pdf) - Report - U.S. Census Bureau - 08/28/07
- Congress Urged to Remedy Federal Health Care - 07/18/07
- Rite of Passage? Why Young Adults Become Uninsured and How New Policies Can Help- The Commonwealth Fund - May 2006
- Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2004 (pdf) - United States Census Bureau - August 2005
- Characteristics of the Uninsured: A View From the States - Report - Robert Wood Foundation - April 2005
Insurance Coverage & Quality of Care
- Facts on Healthcare Coverage and Mental Health - Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- Health Care Quality & Patients Rights- National Partnership for Women & Families
- Health Care Equity Index- Human Rights Campaign
- The Illusion of Coverage: How Health Insurance Fails People When They Get Sick (pdf) - Report - Families USA - March 2007
- Broad Coalition of Organizations, Lawmakers Urges Swift Passage of Genetic Discrimination Legislation - 04/27/05
Below are some of the Leadership Conference coalition members who work on this issue.
- Alliance for Retired Americans
- American Nurses Association
- Children's Defense Fund
- Families USA
- Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- National Association of Community Health Centers
- National Health Law Program
- National Partnership for Women and Families
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.