Senate Must Expeditiously Pass the Build Back Better Act
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Charmaine Riley, [email protected], 202.548.7166
WASHINGTON – Wade Henderson, interim president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, issued the following statement after the House of Representatives passed the Build Back Better Act, H.R. 5376:
“We applaud the House for passing the Build Back Better Act. This historic legislation would promote and strengthen the economic security, health, and well-being of our families and communities. It would also begin to make inroads in addressing some of the racial disparities particularly in health care and poverty. The Senate must now act swiftly to pass the House bill and advance racial equity and make a profound difference in many lives.”
Earlier this month, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights sent a letter to the House urging passage of the Build Back Better Act. In the letter, The Leadership Conference noted the bill would:
- Provide access to health care for several million low-income people living in states that refused to expand Medicaid.
- Extend the expanded child tax credit, make it permanently refundable, and ensure that all types of families can benefit from it.
- Expand access to preschool and high-quality child care.
- Provide for up to four weeks of paid family and medical leave.
- Boost college affordability and support historically Black colleges and universities and minority-serving institutions.
- Support programs that increase access to affordable housing.
- Invest in home and community-based services for older adults and people with disabilities.
- Strengthen the Federal Trade Commission’s ability and capacity to address discriminatory and abusive data practices.
- Give millions of immigrants long-term stability.
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership of more than 230 national organizations to promote and protect the rights of all persons in the United States. The Leadership Conference works toward an America as good as its ideals. For more information on The Leadership Conference and its member organizations, visit www.civilrights.org.