Press Call Briefing Today: Civil Rights and Faith Leaders Call on Trump to Directly Disavow White Supremacists and Violent Extremism; Fire Bannon, Miller and Gorka
WASHINGTON – Today, August 13 at 4:30 p.m. ET, leading civil rights and faith leaders will host a telephone press briefing to call on President Trump to directly disavow the white supremacists marching in his name in Charlottesville on Saturday. The groups also call on Trump to fire White House Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon, White House Deputy Assistant Sebastian Gorka, and White House Senior Advisor Stephen Miller who have stoked hate and division.
Trump’s response to the white supremacist actions yesterday was weak, insufficient and unacceptable. It represents a failure of leadership from the nation’s chief executive. It is long-past time for Trump to personally and unequivocally denounce white supremacy, violent extremism, and hate in all its forms. A statement from an unnamed White House spokesman provided to the White House pool reporters is insufficient. Supporters of white supremacists, racial bigotry and neo-Nazis should not be in the White House or at any level of government.
Please RSVP to [email protected]
WHEN: Sunday, August 13, at 4:30 p.m. ET
- Vanita Gupta, President and CEO, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- Richard Cohen, President and CEO, Southern Poverty Law Center
- Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO and National Director, Anti-Defamation League
- Chad Griffin, President, Human Rights Campaign
- Farhana Khera, President & Executive Director, Muslim Advocates
- Reverend Aundreia Alexander, Associate General Secretary, National Council of Churches
Dial-in: 1 (888) 466-9863;
Passcode: 6373 686#